17 Nisan 2017 Pazartesi

Today's Song: Absolute - Scritti Politti

It's been ages since the last time I took the time to write here. Been busy with many things but one of my friends told me that I should keep on blogging. This post is dedicated to him. Thanks for the enthusiasm mate! :)


I've been taking a look at my record collection the other week and I've realised that I have handful of records that I've bought but  never listened to them ever. Some Level 42 albums (Ewww!), Milli Vanilli (What was I thinking?!), Erasure (Can't stand them! They're a cheap copy of Pet Shop Boys), Marc Almond (I hate him cause he's slagged Kim Wilde off) & Scritti Politti's Cupid & Psyche 85. I've forced myself to listen to them and I couldn't stand any of these albums but Cupid & Psyche 85. I knew Green Gartside has a small part in Kylie's song Someday. So I wanted to give the album an extra try. Most of the songs are far from being synth-pop. They're more Blue-eyed soul. But there are two tracks that made me spin the album for two weeks. Small Talk and my all time favourite: Absolute.

I could easily say it's a classic 80s synth-pop track. Green's vocals go with the lyrics in a perfect harmony. You get that it's a feel-good song which has a tad serious side. I wish they made similar songs in the album rather than soul oriented sophisti-pop tracks. I'm usually concentrated on the music instead of the lyrics when it comes judging a song but Absolute has caught me on many ways. Green's stunning vocals, drums, synths and of course lyrics. I'm pretty sure they wrote the song in the mood for love. ''Holy girl you kiss away the meaning of the working day for love.'' They're one of the most clever lyrics I've ever heard in a pop song.

Released on 29 May 1984 before the release of Cupid & Psyche 85 Absolute peaked on #17 on the UK Singles Chart which is highly unfair for the song. I can't imagine another song being in the top 5 at that time but then Scritti wasn't so successful when it comes to singles charts.



Ps. All my Level 42, Marc Almond & Erasure records have been traded for much better records such as Emotional by Falco, Red by the Communards & Into The Gap by Thompson Twins :)

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder